Friday 30 October 2009

Rediscovery...

I don't know about you (that's right YOU) but I love rediscovering music that I haven't listened to in months or taken the time to listen to properly in years! The band that i have recently "rediscovered" is the Mad Caddies. When I was a young(er) lad I loved the frantic ska on their albums but I never really had any interest in the tracks that took more of an influence from jazz, blues and Dixie and usually skipped over them. So when they released their most recent album "Keep It Going", which was full of Jazz and Dixie influenced tracks but also had some incredible reggae tracks, I loved the reggae on the CD but pretty much regarded it as one of the weakest albums that the Mad Caddies had made so I never really took the time to listen to it. The good news, for me anyway, is that after taking the time to discover early Jazz from the 19210's and 20's and becoming more aware of the offshoots of jazz (swing, trad, Dixie and "new Orleans jazz")I listened to the album in it's entirety (for the first time since 07) and I have fallen in love with the album (it is now firmly in my top 10) and the Mad Caddies all over again and I appreciate their music so much more. It's not just the one album either, after going through all of their albums there are some stand out tracks from all of them where the influence of jazz, rockabilly and Dixie can really be felt and instead of skipping those tracks I find myself transfixed with them. A pretty pointless post I know, nothing as political or pessimistic as my last few but apparently I am still "an angry young man" but at least I'd be a good play wright if I decided to revive British "Kitchen Sink" Theatre! Whilst I'm doing that have a listen and check out these videos of the Caddies!










No comments:

Post a Comment