Friday 16 January 2009

State of mind...

This topic has been on my mind a lot recently. Positivity vs. progression.

Some people say you can get along in life by just being happy. That being positive can and will change your life for the better. Being a positive person can be a good thing but not if it distorts your sense of reality. I've read several sites about how living for now is a better way of living and it is more important to be happy now and than it is to worry about tomorow and I myself am in two minds about this. There is of course an upside and a downside to this way of thinking. It is good to be positive, it makes you feel good and it can have a huge impact on your life. However, if people live in a “fairy tale” where everything is easy and comes cheap and free, they will struggle in the “real” world. I believe you need a mixture of both to be happy and successful in life because unfortunately when we wake up "tomorow" we have to deal with the positive and negative consequences of "today" or infact yesterday (If that makes sense)

I agree living for the now is important, however I feel people should never forget their roots (their past) and never forget where they want to go (their future). The friends, the adventures, the not-so adventures, the times where you sat on the grass and did nothing, that got you to the point in your life where you are now. So many people want to see the world as a challenge and competition with death to see how many things they can do before they die. If you decided to live your life that way then so be it. I am more inclined to appreciate the simple things in life. It is true I have done so much in my short life. I've traveled all over the world from the states, Europe and the Indian Ocean but I have never seen life as a competition to see how much I can get done. I am more inclined to spend time with the people I love than try to prove something. I would rather do something that meant something individual to me than do something thousands of people have already done (not that there is anything wrong with that) that meant as much as a talking point in a conversation in 10 years time.

I am a person who lives in the now but will never forget the past and never dis-regard the future. Because the truth is what we have done in the past got us to the present, and what we do in the present leads to our future.

I am more unsure of my future than ever. But the road to getting there, regardless of how bumpy as I am sure it will be, will be an interesting one with happiness and sadness along the way. Unfortunately consequences exist. But it's how we survive these consequences that make us who we are.

peace, love and respect. as always

-- Tom RDD

No comments:

Post a Comment