Wednesday 24 June 2009

Just waiting for the afternoon so I can be a kid again...

Many a time in my life I have thought I was born in the wrong period during the 20th century. Part of me wants to experiences the rock and roll' 50's (thanks to a classic childhood film of mine Back To The Future), The some what grotty 70's for the old school ska and punk, the 80's just for the hell of it and more recently I find myself thinking about my own era (the 90's) but wishing I could be the age I am now. Of course I would never change what I have now (love, friends, family and other general things) but I would have loved to experience the 90's as a teenager. More importantly an American teenager living in Orange County (O.C), California. This is not because of TV shows like "The Hills" or "The O.C" but because, for those of you who don't know, The O.C has/ had one of the best music scenes in the world during the late 90's especially for third wave ska. Because I do not have a time machine at hand I am listening to a playlist I created featuring artists such as: Less Than Jake, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Edna's Goldfish, Save Ferris, Sublime, The O.C Supertones, Slapstick, The Suicide Machines and many others to somewhat relive the glorious 90's ska scene. But sadly the ska scene is pretty non-existent in the UK at the minute. Only a handful of ska bands survive as most of the others traded the brass in for tight jeans and stupid hair cuts. It's a pity much of the music scene (any music scene for that matter) these days is so fickle and is seemingly based on fashion and the "in thing" over the actual love and passion for the music. I am all for progression but when bands change styles due to changing trends and fashions that makes them (dare I become a “punk stereotype”… yes) sell-outs in my book.

Below are some lyrics by MC Lars. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wishes the "old days" could come back. For me it was because I never got to fully experience them. I was only 4 or 5 when punk legends Rancid released the classic"...and out come the wolves" but it sits proudly in my CD collection and is one of my all time favourite albums. Anyway I digress.

Peace, Love and respect. SKA IS NOT DEAD!

-- Tom RDD



Billy built a robot in his parents’garage,
because he had a list of problems that he needed to solve.
He said I’m sick of the Hills, Laguna Beach is fake and wack,
let’s party like it’s ‘96 and bring the horn section back.
Back before Gwen Stefani started rapping withPharrell,
gas cost $1.15 and Goldfinger could sell.
When reality TV wasn’t scripted or contrived,
the brass was fat and bumping and the beats were all played live.
See Billy was obsessed with third wave ska,
the Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Less than Jake, he’d seen them all.
He longed for a time when even Bill Clinton played the sax,
on the White House lawn, and kids wore shades and checkered slacks.

So Billy sits back in the class and
laughs with a notepad on his lap
as he plans his task. To make a
giant robot, how’s that and bring
the real Orange County back!

CHORUS This gigantic robot kills,
he’s gonna come down the block
he’s going to fire at will. He’s got
a cannon on his shoulder and
a laser in his hand. He’s gonna
win the day for Billy make the
city understand.

The robot was completed and it opened up its eyes,
weighing 700 pounds and standing 8 foot five.
With his black coat, black shoes, black hat, set to attack.
He headed to the hills to give those spoiled kids a smack!
Kristin Cavallari got knocked flat as Billy bumped the Aquabats.
He ripped out Mischa Barton’s spine as he cranked Save Ferris and Sublime,
He burned down Heidi Montag’s home as he bumped the OC Supertones.
He screamed while smashing L.C.’s head, “SKA IS NOT DEAD!”

CHORUS This
gigantic robot kills, he’s gonna
come down the block, he’s going
to fire at will. He’s blasting bullets
from his elbows, shooting missiles
from his eyes, he’s gonna
win the day for Billy, take the OC
by surprise.

He’ll make you do the Macarena as you rock your Tamagachi,
With your Newton down in Woodstock playing Sega la-di-da-di.
He brought the 90’s back and then he freed Tibet.
If you can’t find this jam on Napster,
then the Wherehouse sells cassettes
(old school)! Gigantic (he
was) Gigantic (this robot) Gigantic
(so very) Gigantic (ska robot!!)

CHORUS This gigantic robot kills,
he’s gonna come down the block,
he’s going to fire at will. He’s got
a cannon on his shoulder and a
laser in his hand. He’s gonna win
the day for Billy, make the city understand.
This gigantic robot kills,
he’s gonna come down the block,
he’s going to fire at will. He’s
blasting bullets from his elbows,
shooting missiles from his eyes,
he’s gonna win the day for Billy,
take the whole world by surprise.
(Ska is not dead.)

No comments:

Post a Comment