Wednesday 24 June 2009

The soundtrack of my life...

After just writing all that it got me thinking of the bands and albums that really make music an addiction to me. In short here is a list of the 10 albums that "changed my life" but without straying into the usual Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin etc...

Rancid - ...and out come the wolves: What can I say? A classic ska punk CD from one of the greatest punk bands ever. The album contains some really great mixes of punk, ska and bouncy reggae.

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview: One of the first ska CD's I ever bought. Always a classic for the young ska punk lover.

Big D and the Kids Table - Good Luck: Another top album. Great songs, great lyrics and catchy horns all the way through. An album I could never get tired listening to.

Big D... - Strictly Rude: The latest Big D record. At first I was sceptical because of the lack of the ska punk style I was used to but I almost immediately started to appreciated the raw reggae sound of the album. Some very good reggae music is to be had in this album.

Voodoo Glow Skulls - Band Geek Mafia: Possibly the bst VDGS albums without a shadow of doubt. Bumpin' horn lines, awesome bass line and lyrics you can swear by.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face it: Again one of the first ska CD's I ever bought. I found it for £6 in HMV and after seeing the video for "The Impression That I Get" I decided to buy it. What a bargain for one of my favourite CD's. The Bosstones have a really good sound to them and I defy any fan of ska to dislike this CD.

Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover: At first this CD amazed me with the incredible horn line for the song "Monkeys" but after my initial reaction to the CD of just playing the same song over and over again in awe I found a top album that does the tile of "one of the hardest working ska bands today" justice

Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between: It was a tossup between this and "Everything Goes Numb". Both albums are draw-droppingly good. Streetlight Manifesto are widely considered to be one of the best ska bands today and this album alone, with some of the greatest lyrics ever and horn lines to die for, shows that they deserve nothing but praise.

Home Grown -Kings Of Pop: Without a doubt one of my favourite bands and one of my favourite pop punk albums of all time. Catchy pop punk at it's best.

and finally...

Angels and Airwaves: I-Empire: Didn't expect that did you? Completely out of place with the others I know but I-Empire is probably one of the best music discoveries I have ever made. I used to think of AVA as a pretentious spin off to Blink 182 (who are my all time favourite band) whose front man Tom Delonge was responsible to their demise. However, after actually taking the time to listen to this album I was soon addicted. I find the lyrics soothing and inspiring. The music itself is also somewhat beautiful (if that sort of thing tickles your fancy) and I have fallen asleep a fair few times with I-Empire playing on my ipod.

A short list of albums that I love. Many of them (most of them) are not so out of the ordinary for a fan of ska and punk but if you listen to the albums you will see why most ska and punk loves will have some of these CD's in their all time favourites.

Peace, love and respect.

-- Tom RDD

No comments:

Post a Comment