Wednesday 9 June 2010

Johnny Flynn: Been Listening

After all the excitement and anticipation I didn't get to see Johnny Flynn in Brighton today after all. Due to high demand it turned into a ticketed event and it was sold out by the time I managed to get down there. I wish I had known sooner as I've now listened to Johnny's new album "Been Listening" and it is possibly one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. I would definitely put it up there with Mumford & Sons' "Sigh No More" and Laura Marling's "I Speak Because I Can" for best CD of the year (so far anyway). The opening track is the first single released from the album (Kentucky Pill) and although a good song I wouldn't say it gives the listener an inkling as to how good the next 10 tracks are going to be. Tracks such as The Water, Sweet William Pt.2, Howl and the title track, Been Listening are nothing short of musical bliss. This is definitely an album for anyone who appreciates folk music and Johnny Flynn's latest album shows British "nu-folk" (or whatever NME wants to label it as) at its best!



peace.love.respect.unity
so say we all

-- Tom RDD

No comments:

Post a Comment